Thursday 4 June 2009

Great Lakes 3 Day 1st - 4th May

The GL3D is an annual event in the Lakes covering around 25 miles a day for the 3 days.

We set off from Thornthwaite and were soon climbing GrizedalePike. I'd set off quite late in the start window and soon had the faster runners passing me. As we headed off Whitlass Pike I stayed right on the direct route down which was a very steep and technical descent. I found the new insoles had raised my foot too much and I was really struggling to stabilise my ankle on the difficult terrain at the speed we were going. As we hit the road at the bottom I was struggling already a with painful ankle. The rest of the day is a bit of a blur until which finished at a beautiful spot on the shores of Wast Water.

The next day I switched shoes and headed off over Yewbarrow at a good pace. There were 3 of us running close together when we got hit by a squall of horizontal hail, it was so painful we all stopped and put leggings on! I picked a better route than the others into the valley and got to the campsite at Thirlmere in good spirits.

Monday dawned cold and wet, so I stayed in my sleeping bag. Eventually there was a lull in the weather so I packed up and headed up Helvelyn. The weather was miserable and my ankle was sore, so it was a long day working my way back to Thornthwaite. Clearly the shoes weren't right but more importantly my ankle had swelled dramatically and made using the clutch interesting on the way home.

No comments: