Thursday 4 June 2009

It's On!

I've just realised I haven't actually said what The Bob involves in my previous blogs: The challenge is to climb 42 peaks in the Lake District in under 24 hours. The distance is about 70 miles with 27000 feet of ascent, more information can be found on http://www.bobgrahamclub.org.uk/.

Having made the decision to go ahead I've spent the week finalising my support team and making sure everything is set. As this is the biggest solo challenge I have attempted, I have also decided to raise money for the Alzheimer's Society (http://www.justgiving.com/andym0000 ). My Gran will be 90 next week and has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's for nearly 10 years. It is a very stressful disease for both the sufferer and their carers. The Alzheimer's Society provides invaluable support for both, as well as funding for medical research. Many of the people who have sponsored me already have sent personal notes of loved ones who have / are suffering from dementia and as I go round it will give me a great boost to know every step raises more money for a worthy cause.

So here I am, the day before, testing strapping options on the my ankle to give it the best chance of surviving. I'll make one more post before we head up tomorrow and hopefully Bill Neave, my support driver will be updating the site with my progress as I go round.

No comments: